Hey there high school students!
Are you looking for a way to gain some real-world experience while earning some extra cash this summer? If so, AZYouthforce (AZYF) summer internships might be just what you’re looking for! Here’s what you need to know:
Who can apply: If you’re between the ages of 16-19 and still in school, you qualify to participate in the program – no work experience necessary! As long as you’re eager to learn and can commit to the internship’s timeframes, you’re qualified.
Pay and hours: Most companies with AZYF Summer Internships pay minimum wage, but some pay more – anywhere from $16-$22 an hour. Interns work 30 hours a week during summer, Monday through Friday, starting as early as 7AM. Shifts and times are arranged with the manager.
Internship types: Group internships and career internships are available, and both are great for getting your foot in the door. Most summer internships are 8 weeks long, except for the group internship at Footprint Center (aka Phoenix Suns Arena), which is 4 months long. The Footprint Center internship will work with your school schedule once classes begin again in the Fall.
- Career Internships: Most of AZYF’s Summer Internships are career internships. In a career internship, you’ll individually work with a mentor from a company who will guide you throughout the internship. For example, you could apply for an internship at Bank of America, and they’ll place you at a bank convenient for you, close to your school and home. The same is true for a career internship with Jiffy Lube, Haskins Electric, Avondale Toyota, and other companies.
- Group Internships: In a group internship, you’ll work with other interns in a designated location, with one of AZYF’s staff members present at all times. Group internships provide an excellent opportunity to meet other teens from around the valley, develop teamwork skills, and make new friends.
Applying: You can apply for multiple internships, but you’ll have to select one by the time of the interview with AZYF staff. We can work with you to find the Summer Internship that’s the best fit for you if you’re having trouble deciding!
There are three steps in the application process. After you submit your application, you will typically start your internship the following month.
- Step 1: Complete an online application by
Friday, March 17th, 2023Monday, April 3rd, 2023. The application will only take you about 15-20 minutes to fill out.
- Step 2: After you submit your application, you’ll receive an email from AZYF inviting you to attend a Virtual Information Session. This session will be held the week after applications are due and will last about 30 minutes. Here, you’ll get to learn more about what it’s like to be an intern, and you’ll also meet other teens and parents on the Zoom who are interested in AZYF.
- Step 3: Our AZYF staff will schedule an interview with you for the last week in March. Don’t worry if you don’t have a resume – it’s optional! If you don’t have one, we’ll teach you how to make one during the AZYF Academy in Month 2!
AZYF Academy: Before your Summer Internship officially begins, you’ll attend the AZYF Academy. The academy is held on three consecutive Saturdays before the start of your internship, where you’ll learn essential skills and get prepared for the internship. Each AZYF Academy has up to 30 interns from around the Valley from different high schools and/or BGC Clubs. It’s a fun way to meet new people from around the city! The academy will be held in the location most convenient for the majority of interns, either at our main location off of Baseline Rd. in Mesa, or at our new West Valley location off of Bethany Home Rd. in Glendale.
Looking for even more reasons to apply?
A summer internship through AZYF gives you experience, a paycheck, and a great connection with important companies. While other jobs for teens can also provide pay, an AZYF Summer Internship gives you real-world professional experience and training each step of the way. With AZYF, you’ll be prepared with essential skills before you start your internship. Internships are also great for college or job applications while exploring and developing your career and educational plans!
Summer internship applications are due by
Friday, March 17th, 2023 Monday, April 3rd, 2023. Apply now to start your journey towards a successful future!