*We’re very excited about the upcoming Speed Networking event on August 27th. This is going to be a great opportunity for all teens to test their skills as they get ready to begin their fall internships.*
We understand that the thought of a new internship can be intimidating! Talking to and socializing with adults in a job-setting can feel like a whole different world than talking with your friends at school, at a football game, or at a party. The good news is that you aren’t alone!
After you apply for an AZYF Internship, and before your new job actually begins, you’ll attend the AZYF Academy for 30 hours with other teens who are in the exact same position as you are. Toward the end of the Academy, you have the chance to practice interacting with adults in various fields. Here, you will get to partake in brief, simple conversations with adults alongside one or two of your fellow peers in a supportive and safe environment. Whether it’s face-to-face or on video call, the professionals will be there to guide you and provide feedback at the end. So no worries if you feel awkward, nervous, or don’t know what to talk about!
Whether you know exactly the type of job you want in the future, or are feeling a little lost about what you want to do after high school, no worries! Speed Networking events are designed to give you a better idea of what kinds of jobs are out there and what you might be interested in pursuing in the future. In addition to helping you learn more about what you might be interested in, Speed Networking can also help you develop skills that can be valuable in both your personal and professional life. Here are a few examples:
- Communication skills: At an AZYF speed networking event, conversations will be quick and efficient. You’ll get to practice being clear, concise, and a good listener.
- Interpersonal skills: Meeting new people and building relationships is all about being friendly and approachable. Speed networking can help you improve your interpersonal skills, like making a good first impression and finding common ground with people.
- Networking skills: To network is to develop professional and social contacts, and networking is a super important skill for finding job opportunities and building a career. Speed networking can help you practice your networking skills, help you build your professional network, and seek out new opportunities.
- Time management skills: You’ll only have a few minutes to talk to each person, so you’ll need to manage your time effectively. Developing good time management skills can be helpful in lots of areas of your life!
- Confidence: Speed networking is a great way to build your confidence in social situations. You’ll get valuable practice in talking to new people and sharing information about yourself, which can help you feel more comfortable in social and networking situations.
There are a few more things you might like to keep in mind before attending a speed networking event. First, you’ll want to dress to impress! You don’t have to wear a suit or anything, but make sure your clothes are clean, neat, and appropriate for the event. Even though an AZYF speed networking event is relatively casual, it’s still important to dress nicely and make a good impression.
Next, think about what you’d like people to know about you and your interests beforehand. Maybe you love to work with numbers, communicate with people, care for others, organize information, be creative, problem solve, or work with technology, just to name a few examples. Since you’ll only have a few minutes to talk to each person, try to have a short and sweet pitch prepared!
Lastly, have fun! Speed networking can be a little nerve-wracking, but remember that everyone else is probably feeling the same way, and the professionals are there for you! Try to relax, be yourself, and have fun meeting new people. Who knows – you might even make some new friends or even discover a new passion, and speed networking could be just the thing to kickstart your career exploration!
Apply today for an AZYF Internship!